Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Acknowledgement of Women – Volunteers (part 1)

In my Disclaimer 1 post, I mentioned that I am a man. As I get a better glimpse of the sad, shocking, and significant differences that exist between male and female gender roles, I will write tributes to women. These posts will serve as my acknowledgement of the difficulties and adversity that women face.

The first is for women volunteers. I’ve noticed that even as volunteers there are certain things that limit both sexes. As I highlighted previously, the fact that I am male makes it more difficult to build trust and learn about women in this country. But the limitations affecting women are more difficult to overcome in my opinion.

Depending on the culture (in Mali based on volunteer feedback) women can be seen as incapable of making decisions, might hold less power in the workplace, or can be discriminated against in the workplace. Though none of these thoughts are based on Ghana or female volunteers from Ghana, I’ve heard of instances where female volunteers were only given menial tasks to do, their opinions holding little to no weight in discussions with co-workers, and being given control or leadership over nothing. Office work instead of using a motorbike to go out to the field could be an example, though does not appear to be an issue here in Ghana.

This is a challenge that I think more women might face than men, and for that I acknowledge that I am fortunate to have some of the privileges that might make my work easier.

Also on top of that is the fact that health and safety is somewhat more complicated for females. Some local men pursue my female counterparts in a much different way than they perceive me. With homosexuality being frowned upon in society, I don’t get that many marriage proposals. Men have proposed to many female volunteers I’ve talked to and overall, it takes a bit of firmness to turn men in pursuit away. I know this happens in Canada as well, but I think it is a little more amplified in certain countries. In fact it adds another dimension to deciding who wants to be your friend or who has hidden intentions.

Lastly, safety issues such as travelling alone at night, hitchhiking, and overall situations that put women in vulnerable positions. This might decrease or alter their mobility, and again is a privilege/advantage that male volunteers might have. (Don’t worry mom, I won’t be hitchhiking alone at night and then walking down a back alley to my house).

March 4, 2008

2 comments:

Ricardo said...

Good insight nick. Being discriminated against because of gender is definitely a downer. Hopefully just the presence of these brave women will have a lasting impact on the people you are all there to serve.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nick!!!!!!

I hope all is well in the mother land and that you are settling into your place.
I hope everyone is treating you well.
We all miss you and can't wait to party it up with you at the event of the year...Barry's wedding!!!!!
Lots of Love,
Nicky