Wednesday, December 10, 2008

If You Weave it, They Will Come


It all started with wanting to get more in touch with my community. I thought to myself: “what’s a game that I could play with my community that everybody will be able to participate in”. Volleyball!

I went to my local fish net weaver, and explained my situation. He said that he could weave me a volleyball net for 10$. Sure I thought to myself. A soccer ball and few tree branches later, almost all the kids in the community were outside MY compound playing volleyball.

First the bigger children took to the court, with the little ones as anxious onlookers keeping score. Apparently, being off the court is just as exciting as playing, as all of the young children look up with bright eyes at the competitive game. Every time the ball hits the ground, at least three different versions of the score are shouted from the children, followed by a vivid discussion over whose right. No need for a chalk board, at least 2 small children are keeping score with their hands in the sand.

Following the first game, all the young children got to give it a chance. The older kids reluctantly give leave as I push them off the court so that everybody can have a chance. The small kids have a great time throwing the ball over the net and hitting it anyhow. Sadly, the bigger kids are less accurate in their ability to keep score. One point turns into five, and within 15minutes, the small halftime timbit game is over.

By the end of the day, the volleyball net resembles a badminton net. It has sagged so much that now most of the older kids are at eye level with the top of the net. Thankfully nobody knows how to spike.

The game ends as the sun starts to approach the horizon and the mosquitoes emerge to take over the air. That night I hear my host siblings talking about how they will play the following day (Saturday). I think to myself how this had to be the best 13$ I’ve spent in Ghana so far.

No comments: